Sunday, September 21, 2008

Yum!

For dinner tonight, I was craving something other than rice, so I made noodles!

Sit fried chicken and vegetables with rice noodle
Serves: 4
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes


Ingredients:
  • (2) chicken thighs, boneless and skinless.
  • (1/2 - 3/4 lb) baby bok choy, cut into 1 inch segments.
  • (1/2 lb) giant oyster mushrooms (see note below). Cut them in half lengthwise, then on a diagonal, about 1/4 inch thick.
  • (3 cloves) garlic, finely minced.
  • (1) package flat, broad rice noodles, found at your local Asian grocery store. Break them up into their individual noodles before placing them in the pan (otherwise, you'll end up with a giant clump of noodles.
Sauce:
  • (1 tsp) black bean sauce
  • (1 tbsp) sesame ginger salad dressing. I recently discovered Newman's Own Low Fat Sesame Ginger dressing, and it's great!
  • (1 tbsp) oyster sauce
  • (1/2 tsp) starch or tapioca flour
Instructions:
  1. Heat up pan, place drizzling of oil and sizzle garlic until aromatic.
  2. Add chicken and sautee until chicken done.
  3. Add mushrooms and baby bok choy. Sautee until bok choy is soft. Add water if it looks really dry.
  4. Add noodles and sauce.
  5. Mix together until thoroughly combined and starch/flour in sauce is cooked.

(The baby bok choy ended up looking like a rose from the way I cut it. How cute.)

Some notes:
  • For the sauce, I really just eyeball everything and mix into a bowl. Sometimes I add soy sauce. Sometimes I add chiles. Sometimes I don't add dressing. Really, use your judgment. I use these general sauce for most stir fry's and noodle dishes.
  • Salad dressing can be used for more than just salads! I use my dressing more for marinating meats than for salads, actually. My famous chicken recipe will come soon!
  • King oyster mushrooms are these wonderful specimens:They can be found at your local Asian supermarket (along with other wonderful mushrooms - my favorites are Shiitakes, Enoki, and Portabello). They are great in stir fry, soups, and anything else your heart desires. They are meaty in texture, but not in flavor.
Is anyone reading these food posts? I enjoy putting them up, but they definitely take longer than most my posts.

And yes, I really have been cooking nearly every night! What can I say, I love to cook and I hope you love my recipes.

No comments: