Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bonding

Today we had a resident retreat and it was a blast. We all ended up in the pool in all of our clothes, which gave me a really free feeling. Also the fact that everyone else was also in the pool made it all the better.

The more I think about it and the more people ask me how residency is going, I realize that I have it good. I like my fellow residents. I like the hospital. I like the attendings. I like the patients. Seriously, intern year isn't as bad as I thought it would be. This could mean 1 of three things:
  1. That I haven't hit the worst part of it - which I fear may be the true choice. I hear that it gets much worse. And truthfully, I'm only 3 months into it - I don't know if the whole "new-ness" of it has worn off yet.
  2. That I had really low expectations of residency when I started. I thought I wouldn't have a life at all, but so far, I have managed to go camping, make several trips up to San Francisco (and even on a worknight!), and go home a good amount.
  3. That it really is this good. I'm an optimist, so I hope that this is the right answer.
All that said, the retreat was nice. All of us got to get together, in a non-threatening, non-stressful environment, and really get to know each other. Lots of laughs and lots of fun. I can sincerely say that I am happy.

No comments: