Monday, October 25, 2004

Medical school and terrorism

Never would I have imagined that in medical school, I would have to deal with terrorism. However, that day has come and I listened to a Microbiology pathophysiology lecture on biological warfare (titled benignly as "Emerging Infectious Diseases").

So, I listened to a professor tell me how health professionals (am I one yet?) are the first line responders if there was a bioterrorism attack and it was necessary to learn how to recognize symptoms of smallpox and anthrax. She then proceeded to go over what makes an "ideal bioterrorism weapon."

I just don't know how to respond to it. Yes, it's necessary as this is the world that we live in now. However, did it really have to be this way? Do we, from now on, have to worry about biological terrorism and the possibility that sometime in the future, I will have to quarantine a whole hospital because someone walks in with smallpox?

I guess that is just the world that we live in. Especially if our military keeps on losing weapons and explosives.

No comments: