Sunday, June 8, 2008

Looking for love, or just an apartment

I hate apartment hunting. I always forget how much I hate it until I have to do it, which was rare until the last year (whereby I lived in 2 apartments in 8 months in Washington, DC and then another 2 apartments in 4 months in Boston). Most recently, I was looking for an apartment in San Jose. I scoured craigslist (which you all know, or should know, I have a secret affair with) for a decent apartment. I wanted to live by myself, but found a one bedroom to be out of my price range. So, I started looking at studios and 2 bedroom apartments to share. The thing about looking for a 2 bedroom apartment or a room in a 2 bedroom apartment is that describing yourself to your potential roommate can sound much like a personal.

What my "about me" sections usually read like (brackets are added in): I'm a 27 year old professional female [because my name sometimes confounds people] who is non-smoking, doesn't do drugs, and clean [cause I need the same]. I have excellent credit and personal and rental references if necessary [this is be "in" with landlords and managers]. In terms of what I like to do in my free time, it includes reading, doing anything outdoors, cooking, etc [shows that I'm well-rounded, have outside interests, and, quite frankly, the coolest person in the world]. However, I'm probably not going to be home much because I will be working 70-80 hours a week [so they don't think that I will be sitting around like a lazy ass watching tv all day]. If this sounds like we might get along, I'd love to hear back from you.

Now, tell me that doesn't read like a personal ad. I might as well add that I like long walks on the beach, candlelit dinners, and love poems written as odes to me (please don't send me love poems, though I will accept dinners and walks on the beach). It actually felt like dating online when this girl emailed me back, saying that she thought we'd be great roommates. Then, I sent her an email back saying I'd love to see her place the next day (I was trying to get all my apartment viewings in one day) and gave her my phone number. She never called or emailed ever again.

No comments: