Friday, February 29, 2008

T.G.I.F.

So, I'm sitting at home on a Friday night. I should be out, but I'm not. I have to admit that I'm not very fond of the nightlife in Vietnam. For people like me, it's hanging out in Pham Ngu Lao with the other tourists and expats, drinking bad beer and exchanging travel stories. For me, that's not fun - I feel like I can do that anywhere, so why should I spend (lots of) money being reminded that I'm an American who doesn't fully appreciate that they're in Vietnam.

For the Vietnamese, it's a night of karaoke and driving around. Now, I like my karaoke, just like any other person, but you can only do so much of it. And driving's fine and all, but I have to admit that Saigon is limited in terms of its scenic routes (especially when you are avoiding being killed every minute because some guy is swerving to get around you).

Oh well, so another night at home.

No comments: