Friday, December 19, 2008

Nights like these

Last night, I did a c-section where the lady lost almost two liters of blood (maybe due to the fact that she had been in labor for two days, or the fact that her baby was 9 pounds plus, or maybe due to the fact she had an infection, or due to the fact that I have bad luck) and needed a transfusion. 

The board (what we call the list of patients on Labor and Delivery at any point in time) was packed full and every patient was complicated - with diabetes, drug use, placental abruption, placental previa (where the placenta covers the cervix), pre-term labor, etc etc.  Lots of fun stuff to be had. 

Unfortunately, with all the excitement, I get no sleep and I only racked up two deliveries (including the c-section).  Oh, to top it off, as I'm rounding this morning, I slip and fall flat on my butt and bang my knee against the ground.  Just what I needed. 

Er, I just want to curl up into a ball. 

No comments: