Saturday, October 4, 2008

Afternoon snack

08.10.04 004-2

My afternoon snack today blended the good (green apples) with the bad and the smelly (shrimp paste). For those unfamiliar with shrimp paste, it's basically shrimp and salt. And then ground up into a paste. Yeah, probably doesn't sound very good and to a lot of people, tastes even worse. However, to someone who loves anything salty and doesn't mind smelly things (durian, anyone?), shrimp paste is great stuff. It's not used in many recipes and it's a wonder I even keep it in my fridge. The one good thing that it's always good for is as a dipping sauce, albeit sparingly, for green mangos or green apples. The tartness of the fruit goes well with the saltiness of the shrimp paste.

Please be forewarned that shrimp paste is very salty. Seriously, it should have a haz-mat symbol on it. The physician in me tells me that I should warn people with high blood pressure to stay away from this (and all other salty things!). Also, if you can't stand smelly things (and you know who you are), don't even try this. If you have normal blood pressure and don't mind smelly things, eat away.

The shrimp paste from my fridge:
08.10.04 002-2

No comments: