Wednesday, November 3, 2004

Election Day: Kerry Rally

So, I just came home from my first big election day. Of course, in prior elections, I have faithfully voted (even in primaries!). This time, I decided to be an especially proactive citizen and go to the Kerry rally in Boston. I did this for several reasons. First, I'm a Kerry supporter. However many flaws he has, I can confidently say that he is my choice for President. Secondly, I live in Boston. I don't if there will be any other time in my life where I will be living in the same city as a presidential candidate (let alone one that I support) and have nothing extremely urgent that needs to be done. Thirdly, I felt as though it was something to be a part of. It's a historic election and I feel like it would be an experience that I could really remember forever, regardless of how the experience turned out.

On all of these parts, I have succeeded. I waited dutily for 45 minutes to vote this afternoon then rushed over to Copley Square to stand in the cold and sometimes rainy air to support Kerry. Yes, I chanted "Kerry" at times and yes, I was proud to be a supporter. Ultimately, I think my knees and my feet will hate me the most tomorrow morning.

But in the end, nothing happened. I did not see Kerry, nor did anyone else. I got to see Edwards up close, though (I eventually made it, after nearly 8 hours outside, to ten feet away from the stage). And, of course, the election is not decided. I am glad that the Kerry campaign has put the statement out there that they seek only to make sure votes are counted and not to file lawsuits against states. On the other hand, I don't know how much they can be held to this statement. I guess we'll see what happens by the time I wake up tomorrow morning.

No comments: