Saturday, March 22, 2008

Bad turn of events...

So, I've been holding off on posting this because I was worried that people would be worried. So, first of all, I want to say that things are ok and I am ok and everything will be ok.

Ok, after all that, I will tell my story. It's been a bad week, to state the obvious. Last Friday, I was out with a friend and we were out late and I fell off of his motorbike. Yeah, fell off his motorbike. It's a much longer story than that, but that's basically the gist of it. Fortunately, I was wearing a genuine racer helmet (which everyone makes fun of me for, but now no one can say that it hasn't come in handy) and my friend was only going about 5 miles an hour. I came out without a scratch, which is unbelievable considering all I was wearing as a tank top and a skirt. However, I came out with a good sense of fear of riding motorbikes (but still hopped on one the following day - it's impossible to avoid here in Saigon).

So, that was actually not too bad, just a little frightening. What was bad was that on Wednesday, my knee went out. I twisted my left knee (those already in the know are aware that I have already had two knee surgeries on my right knee) while opening a window - yeah, opening a window is hazardous to your health. Subsequently, I couldn't walk and ended up in the Hanoi International SOS clinic and walked out with an MRI, two knee braces, crutches, and a diagnosis of a strained lateral ligament in my left knee. Since then, it has been an adventure getting from Hanoi to Saigon (I arrived last night in Saigon) and I have experienced the draconian practices that those with physical disabilities have to confront everyday. One example is the 3 hours and paperwork required to get a wheelchair at the airport. At the airport. As though no one in a wheelchair has ever flown in Vietnam.

In the end, I am still going to India next Sunday and hopefully will be off crutches then.

So, at the end of a week with a motorbike accident and a window accident, I am exhausted. Literally. At least I have Codeine.

No comments: