Friday, June 4, 2010

Love and hate

As many of you may (or may not) know, I have been on a series of first
dates in the last two years. Lots of them. Good and bad
(unfortunately more that have been spectacularly bad rather than good).
Today, I was talking to a friend of mine, talking about dating and how
I don't know how I feel about someone I went out with. She asks, "Do
you like him or do you just not hate him?". And to tell you the truth,
I couldn't answer the question.
Looking back on some people I have dated or gone out on dates with,
perhaps I actually didn't like the person (in the sense that I get
thoroughly excited at the prospect of them calling), but rather I
didn't hate them. That just sounds terrible, I know.
What is the reason I sometimes cannot tell how I feel about someone?
Is this normal? Do I sell myslf short by just going out with people I
don't hate instead of waiting and finding someone I genuinely like?
These are questions that I ask myself a lot (I think to myself a lot).
Just thought I would put it out there as food for thought because I
have genuis friends who can cut through niceties and ask though
provoking questions like that at 11 pm when I am post call and throw
me in a tizzy.

No comments: