Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spaghetti and meatballs

05.15.09 016-1

To use up some of my vegetables, and to continue my resolution to use something out of my freezer, I decided to make the spaghetti and meatballs with a dash of spring vegetables. I have to admit that my weekly CSA is rather challenging - before I can use one week's vegetables, another week has come! So, to use up the vegetables that I have accumulated through the CSA (spring garlic, fresh shallots, chard, and summer squash) and in my garden (fresh basil, thyme, and oregano), I decided to cook up some spaghetti and vegetables. However, I was craving something meatier and remembered that I had a bag of Trader Joe's turkey meatballs in my freezer. Put it all together and you have spaghetti and meatballs (and spring vegetables!).

Ingredients:

  • Any vegetables you'd like to add - squash works particularly well
  • Garlic & shallots - I used spring garlic and fresh shallots because that's what I had. You can use regular garlic and shallots, or only one of them, if that's what you have.

05.15.09 005

  • Fresh herbs (I had basil, oregano, and thyme - but any herbs of your choice would make do)
  • Tomato sauce (I would make my own usually out of fresh tomatoes and tomato paste, but I didn't have any on hand)
  • Trader Joe's turkey meatballs (or any other meatballs)
Instructions:

  • Boil and prepare pasta.
  • Saute the garlic and shallots in a pan with olive oil until fragrant.
    05.15.09 007

  • If you want, you can add the other vegetables now and saute until brown.
    An alternative I used this time was to broil the squash for about 12 minutes (stirring in between) until brown and caramelized. I am convinced that nothing tastes as good as grilled/broiled/barbecued zucchini. If you broil it (with salt, pepper, and oil), add the zucchini last minute to the sauce.
    05.15.09 013
  • Add tomato sauce and meatballs (optional). Cook until heated through.
  • Sprinkle with fresh herbs and parmesan prior to serving.

No comments: