Sunday, January 4, 2004

trip back to boston

So, it’s been awhile since my last post and here I am, posting from Madison, Wisconsin. Why Madison, you ask? Well, because I’m supposed to be in Chicago but the airport is shut down due to low visibility so we were diverted here. So, I’m stuck in Madison. I hate this. And I don’t feel well so that doesn’t help. I was supposed to be in Boston in an hour, so there goes that idea.

On a different note, I have a topic to talk about. As I was having coffee with a friend from high school, I realized that I try not to tell people that I go to medical school. For the most part, it’s usually with guys in bars and such. This is how the conversation goes:
Guy – “What do you do?”
Girl – “I go to medical school.”
Guy – “Oh, you must be smart…”
(awkward silence) “Ok, I better get going now”

Are guys really that intimated by someone who’s intelligent and getting a degree? Are they worried that I’m so up on intelligence that they’re not even good enough for some silly bar conversation? I think it’s especially weird being an Asian female and getting a graduate degree, as it defies the subservient, docile image that’s perpetuated in media and such. Well, to all the guys out there, if you are intimated by an intelligent girl who stands up for herself and does not allow herself to be pushed around, then you deserve no one at all! Yeah, I’m bitter, but I also give in to the expectations. Now, instead of saying I go to medical school, I say I go to graduate school, which I feel is sometimes less threatening than saying medical school. I don’t know why this is, but that’s what I find.

Ok, well, that’s it for now as I’m feeling nauseous again and I have no idea when we get to fly the turbulent skies again. If I don’t get into Boston tonight, I’m going to be angry. And tired. And sick.

No comments: